Thoughts on "This service" or "The service"?

If you look at the cases, a ton of them have these quotes before getting into what the service does and I think it would be better if not as much titles had it . A downside I can possibly think of is that “This service” and “The service” has more precise wording but if someone is looking at the summary of a specific site, I would assume that they know that the service they are looking at is being referred to and not a third party because that would be included in the case title.
If it was changed I believe it would also be changed in the extension as well, and I think the new/shorter name would read better with people who are using the extension as well as people annotating the documents. I would love thoughts and feedback on the idea though

For example:
The service provides a complaint mechanism for the handling of personal data --> A complaint mechanism is provided for the handling of personal data
This service does not sell your personal data --> Your personal data is not sold
This service uses third-party cookies for statistics --> Third-party cookies are used for statistics
The service can read your private messages –> Private messages can be read

3 Likes

I agree with your suggestion. I think it makes it cleaner and easier to read, while reducing inconsistencies between cases having “This service” vs “The service.”

3 Likes

I also agree with your suggestion. Not a very huge change but would be much more consistent.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a lot cleaner. When constructing the passive tense one has to be careful not to omit important context, however. For instance, https://edit.tosdr.org/cases/131 (“Content is published under a free license instead of a bilateral one”) fails to mention whose content. Presumably user-uploaded content like the other cases in the topicCopyright license”, but it could also be [mis]interpreted as website-published content – and indeed depending on the details of the terms, there may not be a simple difference (if user content is processed to make site content).

1 Like

On retrospective, I believe the wording This Service would be more fitting in (maybe) every instance, since most of our users view the Points through our Browser Extensions, which emphasizes “The Service you are currently viewing/logged on” much more efficiently.

2 Likes