Case Proposal: The website is open-source

I propose the following data to be a new case:

Fields Data
Name The website is open-source
Description The code of website is open-source and the users can be access of code source.
Classification good
Topic https://edit.tosdr.org/topics/10
Weight 30
2 Likes

Thereā€™s currently an existing case that applies to this, if I understood well: Features of the website are made available under a free software license
Nevertheless, I think your phrasing is much more clear, so perhaps we should change the current caseā€™s title to avoid confusion.

2 Likes

There is a difference between free software and open-source software.

A free software or web site must be open source and respect the points of the Free Software Foundation to be considered as free (at least by the community). Whereas a website or an application can be open source without necessarily being free.

So maybe we have to make the difference between the two.

4 Likes

It makes sense, I support the new case proposal then!
The weight fits well too.
In which topic would it be? In the proposal it is written https://edit.tosdr.org/topics/10 although the link leads nowhere to me.

1 Like

Cool!

I wanted to put it in the topic Transparency

1 Like

This is not true, free software can be open source but itā€™s not a requirement or law.

I donā€™t know if we are talking about the same free software. I am talking (in French) about ā€œLibreā€ software and not ā€œGratuitā€ software. But in the law, I donā€™t think that ā€œLibreā€ software is described. It is described by the FSF.

But then, I think it deserves the creation of this case.

3 Likes

I take the liberty of reopening the subject of this box proposal.

If it is accepted, could we add a new point ?
The software code is open-source
The code of the servers is open-source

Yeah I was mistaken, I interpret ā€œFreeā€ software as in Zero Costs not ā€œFreedomā€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No bad opinions have been expressed, so the case is now on Phoenix!
https://edit.tosdr.org/cases/485
Also, Iā€™ve updated the description of Case 171 to make clearer the difference between libre and open-source software.

1 Like

Love it! Now its way more clear for non-native english speakers!

2 Likes

should we do the same with software:

ā€œthe software is open-sourceā€

To make the difference between free and open source. because it is especially in the case of software that people make the confusion.

1 Like

I think this is a special case where ā€œserviceā€ can be properly applied because ToS;DR also rates apps in some cases where the term website does not apply.

ā€œThe service is open-sourceā€

While we are at it, should we make a case that has a higher weight than this one called ā€œThe service is FOSSā€? Since open-source does not necessarily mean that everything is fully open-source

2 Likes

What about changing the current case ā€œThe website is open-sourceā€ to ā€œThe service is open-sourceā€?

FOSS means Free and Open Source Software if Iā€™m not mistaken, which would fall under Features of the website are made available under a free software license

1 Like

Forget what I just said :man_facepalming:, darn acronyms.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard ā€˜source-availableā€™ (source available license - Wikidata) as a term that carries no connotations of licensing (that is, software freedom) either way.

1 Like

parce que ce sont principalement des logiciels qui sont open-source, mais parfois les sites web le sont (Sorry for the english people)

(because itā€™s principally for softwares the open-source appellation, but sometimes website are that too)

1 Like

After thinking about it, we should as Justin said, name this point ā€œThe service is open-sourceā€ and then change ā€œthe serviceā€ in the title by the thing concerned.

What do you think?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.